*********************************************
Even before I got pregnant, I knew I wanted a drug-free
birth. The prospect didn’t scare me in the least. It’s what women are built to
do, I figured. So I took a hypnobirthing class. I practiced visualizations that
would help me manage the intensity of the contractions. I got a doula. I was
determined. I was ready.
And then Henry wouldn’t come out. 40 weeks and 5 days into my pregnancy (that’s
almost one week past my due date), he’d just barely descended, and I wasn’t
dilated at all. I’d gone in for the every-other-day amniotic fluid check and
fetal nonstress test that are standard when you’re past your due date.
“Are you leaking fluid? Has your water broken?” the
ultrasound tech asked in an excited voice as she viewed the screen.
“Nope. Nothing. Why?” I asked, a bit alarmed.
“Your fluid is gone. Get to triage now. You need to be
induced.”
This was not what I’d signed up for. But I wasn’t too
worried. I figured contractions would start at some point, and I’d resume Plan
A and have my drug-free birth (well, Pitocin-induced, drug-free birth). But 16
hours into it and with only the teeniest of contractions, I told my doctor I
wanted a C-section. Me. The Committed Hypnobirther. I was asking for the
highest level of medical intervention possible when it comes to childbirth.
As I lay on the operating table, all drugged up and trying
my best not to be terrified about the fact that I was about to undergo major
surgery, Dr. Bicalho must’ve done one more pelvic check because she leaned into
my face and said, “Kathleen, good call. He is still so far up there, I’m not
sure he’d ever have come on his own.”
I recalled my doula’s words during one of our prenatal
sessions: Most pregnant women have a
vision of the kind of birth they want. But children come into this world with their own intentions. In that
moment, it seemed Henry’s intentions were to stay nice and cozy in utero and
screw up all my plans.(I know -- what a horrible thing to say. He was born healthy, after all. But I found that gratitude for a healthy child and grief over a lost experience could co-exist.)
My birth experience was my first lesson in relinquishing
control. Our children do not come from us; they come through us, said the poet Khalil
Gibran. Henry’s birth was just the beginning of the attitude readjustments I’ve
had to make since becoming his mother. As an infant, he had reflux, and he and
I slept terribly as a result. When he started daycare, he was sick at least
twice a month for the next 14 months, and I took every sick day I had, putting
me in precarious positions with my employers. Nothing that many other mothers haven't experienced, but this stuff threw me for a loop.
And then came the clinginess.
A very gregarious baby and toddler, Henry (now 4), started
to become very clingy in new situations right after he turned 2. Especially in
group situations. I first noticed it when we started music classes. He’d cling
to my neck, often facing away from the group, sometimes peeking around at them
or the teacher. I’d sit there and clap and sing along with most of the rest of
the class and their parents, all the while wondering why my kid wasn’t running
around in circles or dancing in the middle of the group like some of the other
kids. When it was time to get up and march, he wouldn’t let go of me. I had to
hold him AND dance around in a circle with the group. It was exhausting and
often maddening. Once, he cried that he
wanted to go home. At least once, I left the class in tears.
When we visited the homes of our playgroup members, he’d
behave similarly, sitting on my lap for up to a half hour before he’d finally
mosey over to a toy. I started telling myself to get used to it. If we were
going to someone’s house, I needed to be ready to hold him on my lap for the
first 30 minutes. It was part of the deal.
But by the time he was 3, he seemed more comfortable
venturing into group situations. Gradually though. Henry’s always been Mr.
Ease-In-Slowly. As you’ve probably surmised, he’s not the kid who bursts into a
room at full speed or dances around by himself in the middle of a crowd.
Recently, though, the clinginess has come back. Several days
in a row this month, we hit the park, as we usually do on the weekends when the
weather cooperates. He usually runs toward the slide or sometime stands next to
me, surveying the scene, but then quickly takes off for the jungle gym.
But not this time, and not the next day, and not last
weekend either. The first two times, he stayed right next to me. He didn’t want
to play with his little friend Laura, who’d come in with her mom from Oak Park
to hang with us. He didn’t want to go down the slide or climb up the jungle gym
or do any of the park things he usually does. He wanted to stay right by me.
Last weekend, he ventured out on his own only when I promised to be right there
next to whatever he wanted to climb on.
And then there were the birthday parties. Since he started
preschool in August, he’s been invited to at least 15, all attended by his
little preschool friends. Henry is a social kid who doesn’t usually gravitate toward any
particular classmate; he likes them all. Which is why I was puzzled when he
wouldn’t leave my side at nearly every party. The worst came at The Little Gym,
where two of his friends have hosted their birthday parties in the last 6
months. The Little Gym requires all party participants to remove shoes and socks.
“NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!” Henry screeched upon hearing this
request.
“What? What’s wrong?” I searched his little face. He looked
terrified.
“I don’t want to take off my socks. I DON'T WANT TO!”
Since he turned 3, Henry has shown a strong preference for
having his feet covered. About the only time I can get him to forego the socks
is when we’re at the beach. I’ve chalked it up to mild sensory issues. It doesn’t
interfere with his day-to-day, so I’m not worried.
But this was extreme. No amount of encouragement, soothing
or persuasion did the trick. Several of his friends came out to ask him why he
wasn’t playing with them. It didn’t matter. Henry spent both parties on my lap,
watching through a window as his friends bounded over balance beams and leapt
across the floor. I could sense the internal conflict he was experiencing: He
sooo wanted to join them, but his fear – whatever the source -- of running
around in his bare feet trumped that desire.
I struggled to contain my impatience. I wanted to hang out
with the other parents, unencumbered, for an hour. I had not signed up to hold
my 37-pound, writhing four-year-old on my lap for an hour – a four-year-old who
interrupted me every time I tried to partake in the conversations around me. I
felt my blood pressure rise.
“Why is my child so neurotic?” I wondered
silently.
But he’s not neurotic. At least not any more than any other
preschooler. He’s Henry. He’s careful.
Cautious. Playful. Independent. Highly imaginative and prefers to direct
activities rather than be directed. Can focus on a task for quite some time all
by himself (god bless you, Henry, for I know not how I would get things done if
you were always asking for my attention!). But some of his tendencies present
themselves so suddenly and so intensely that I’m thrown for a loop over and
over. And I have to continuously remind myself that
Henry is who Henry is. He came with his own intentions. And the more I become
upset or try to push him beyond his comfort level, I—his number-one source of
security and comfort – will make him feel all that much more insecure.
The truth is, I am very much like Henry. I am slow to warm
up to certain experiences. I don’t like diving in head first (literally or
figuratively). I was never the physically adventurous kid. Many times, I felt
the tension – no, the pain – of simultaneously wanting so badly to join my
friends in something fun but instead cozying up in the safety of the sidelines.
I was the kid who climbed backward down the steps of the tall, twisty slide because once I got up there, I was terrified of sliding down. And I hated that about myself. So it’s the last part of my personality that I
want Henry to inherit. I want him to be unafraid and adventurous. But here we
are. Like mother, like son. And I remind myself that his – our – tentativeness
in unfamiliar situations is our way of processing, taking it all in and
carefully deciding how we want to experience a particular moment. Which is far
from a bad thing.
So I find patience. And I immerse myself in gratitude – for Henry.
For all that he is and all he will
become. He is my child. He came through me, not from me. And my job is to honor
every part of him by simply letting him be.
nice re-entry!
ReplyDeletei often think about what traits Ronin will inherit from me and my husband, good and bad, and hope i have what it takes to accept him for who he is and know how to let him flourish as the person he is meant to be. Mama hood really does throw a mirror in your face all the time!